About Acne Scars
Acne scars are responsible for not only physical pain, but emotional discomfort as well. Many people dealing with acne scars feel embarrassed about their appearance, and some even experience lower self-esteem as a result of permanent acne scars. Acne affects over 80% of the population, and even if you are done experiencing active breakouts, you might still be annoyed about scars and discoloration left behind, forever leaving its mark on your complexion.
Many different types of acne scars can develop:
- One of the most common types of acne scarring are the ice pick scars, which are deep, narrow depressions in the skin that end in a sharp point. Ice pick scars are often difficult to treat through simple laser resurfacing procedures.
- Rolling scars are wide-reaching depressions in the skin that tend to be shallower than ice pick or boxcar scars. They create the appearance of rolling hills along the surface of the skin.
- Boxcar scars have angular depressions in the skin and appear most frequently around the temple and cheeks.
- Keloid scars occur when cells “overgrow” while regenerating to heal a wound in the skin. The result is often a raised or recessed mark in the skin that takes on a pink or purple hue.
It is important to keep skin and acne scars out of the sun and wearing sunscreen each day. Using a Retin-A product helps to clear existing acne and prevent new acne from occurring. You should avoid “picking” the skin. Picking at scabs interferes with the skin’s healing process increasing your changes of scarring your skin permanently.
, photodynamic acne therapy
and other advanced technologies are all designed to treat different types of acne scars, including pigmentation, tone and texture concerns. Many of our patients suffer from a variety of symptoms and our dermatologists can combine therapies to offer optimal results. Acne treatment at Dermatology Institute of Southern California involves a complete skin analysis, the most advanced acne scar removal methods and an expert Los Angeles dermatologist team that selects the appropriate treatment for your complexion.
Acne Scar Treatments in Beverly Hills and Santa Monica
Today, thanks to the development of several advanced technologies, men and women no longer have to endure acne scarring. Scientists over the years have harnessed the power of lasers to help smooth out the surface of the skin and remove redness or other discoloration.
While previous acne scar treatments were invasive and only slightly effective, Los Angeles dermatologist Dr. Daniel Behroozan
, along with his dedicated team of skin-care specialists, offer new technologies that successfully fade acne scars for patients at their Beverly Hills and Santa Monica offices.
The Right Acne Scar Treatment For You
At the Dermatology Institute of Southern California our highly trained dermatologists use Fraxel lasers and non-invasive treatments to fade acne scars and improve healing time.
- Fraxel Laser Treatment delves beneath the skin’s deepest layers to reduce acne scars, boost collagen production and repair deeper dermal levels. By delivering advanced waves of laser energy, Fraxel targets sun damaged and acne scarred skin, offering rejuvenation and resurfacing. The FDA-approved laser procedure stimulates cell renewal from the inside out and shows improvement of acne scars, creating smoother skin in just 3 to 4 sessions.
- Microneedling is an advanced technology that creates a series tiny punctures in the skin, stimulating the natural production of collagen and elastin, repairing irregular scar tissue. As new collagen is produced, your skin takes on a natural glow and the procedure helps reduce scars, stretch marks and wrinkles. Microneedling is a simple, yet effective treatment for mild to moderate acne scars and requires no downtime.
- Microdermabrasion is a skin revitalizing procedure that uses powerful exfoliation to smooth out acne scars, providing a clear, glowing complexion.
- Photodynamic Therapy is an advanced light-based procedure that improves sun-damaged skin, pitted acne scars and skin tone changes after just 3 treatments.
- Morpheus 8 Morpheus 8 combines traditional microneedling with radiofrequency energy which leads to a more dramatic stimulation of collagen and tightening of the skin simultaneously. It improves overall texture by improving scars, shrinking pores, smoothing the skin, erasing stretch marks, and tightening skin to give you a more youthful look with minimal downtime.