EMFACE Beverly Hills Treatment FAQ:
1. What is EMFACE?
EMFACE is a one-of-a-kind, innovative facial treatment that lifts and volumizes the face while also rejuvenating the skin, creating new collagen and elastin. It works by selectively activating, contracting, and toning facial muscles.
Hands-free patches use radio frequency (RF) technology to target and tighten the skin, while high-intensity facial electrical stimulation (HIFES) stimulates the motor neuron that makes the muscle contract, restoring support for your facial tissue to create the desired lifting effect.
This effective, two-in-one procedure results in a face that is smooth and lifted in a natural, youthful way. EMFACE Treatment is supported by several clinical studies that demonstrate increases in elastin production and collagen, skin lifting, and increases in muscle mass and tone in specific cheek and forehead muscles.
2. Who is the right candidate for EMFACE Treatment?
EMFACE Treatment is appropriate for any adult who wants to modestly lift and tighten their face without surgery. It’s approved for any age, race, or skin color. However, there are certain contraindications to receiving Emface Treatment, including:
- Face piercings
- Face tattoos
- Cheek or forehead implants
- Metal plates in the face or neck
- Pacemakers or heart defibrillators
- Pregnant or nursing
- Recent sunburn
- Any active condition in the treatment area, such as sores, psoriasis, eczema, rash, or rosacea
- Varicose veins, pronounced edemas, blood vessel or lymphatic vessel inflammation
- Recent surgical procedures in the treatment area within the last three months or before complete healing
- Isotretinoin use in the past 12 months
- Radiation therapy or chemotherapy
- Malignant tumor
- Neurological disorders (such as multiple cerebrospinal sclerosis or epilepsy)
- Active collagen or autoimmune diseases or impaired immune function
- Bacterial, viral infections or acute inflammations
- Current condition or history of skin cancer, or current condition of any other type of cancer or pre-malignant mole
If you are unsure whether EMFACE Treatment is right for you, please don’t hesitate to ask our healthcare providers.
3. What areas can be treated with EMFACE?
EMFACE is FDA-cleared for the following areas that benefit from either increased muscle tone or enhanced tissue or skin heating:
- Forehead (frontalis muscle, which may improve brow position)
- Cheeks (zygomaticus major, zygomaticus minor, and risorius muscles, which may lead to jowl improvement, cheek lifting, and jawline refinement)
4. Does EMFACE really work?
The manufacturer of EMFACE, BTL Aesthetics, performed multiple studies on HIFES/RF technology to determine its effects on the skin and facial muscles. In clinical studies, ultrasound imaging and MRI were used to measure changes in the muscles, while skin quality was monitored, photos taken before and after treatment were compared, and information was gathered about how satisfied patients were with the procedure.
The following results were achieved in EMFACE clinical studies on healthy patients:
- 37% reduction of facial wrinkles in treated areas
- 30% increase in muscle tone
- 19% increase in muscle density
- 23% improvement in the lift of the face
- 26% increase in collagen
- A two-fold increase in elastin production
5. How is the EMFACE procedure performed, and how does it feel?
The EMFACE Treatment applicators are placed on the forehead and/or cheeks, settings are chosen, and treatment begins. If necessary, the position of the applicators can be adjusted early in the session to ensure an appropriate muscle response. With HIFES-brand energy, the applicators activate and tighten only the desired facial muscles. At the same time, constant RF energy is sent through the applicators to help tighten the skin. It’s a completely hands-free treatment.
EMFACE is convenient and effective due to the combination of two powerful technologies in the single treatment applicator: high-intensity focused electrical stimulation (HIFES) and radiofrequency (RF). HIFES and RF work together to address muscle atrophy in the face and skin textural concerns quickly and simultaneously. This is how:
- HIFES: EMFACE produces HIFES-induced muscle contractions. Electrical stimulation targets the depolarization of motor nerves, which causes associated muscles to contract. In EMFACE Treatment, the pulse patterns of muscle contraction alternate between the cheek muscles and forehead, or both. For the forehead, the muscle known as the frontalis is targeted. For the cheek, three muscles—the zygomaticus major, zygomaticus minor, and the risorius muscle are pinpointed. Impressively, a single EMFACE Treatment produces approximately 75,000 electrical pulses that trigger muscle contractions. This is accomplished in only about 20 minutes.
- Synchronized RF: EMFACE Treatment delivers synchronized, unipolar radiofrequency. Radiofrequency creates bulk heating of tissues. Because EMFACE Treatment applicators are so good at delivering RF, the skin can be warmed to between 40 and 42 degrees Celsius in just a few minutes. Due to real-time feedback in the treatment applicators, thermal sensing keeps the tissues warm but not hot. This special temperature is enough to induce new collagen and elastin growth in the skin but doesn’t adversely affect facial fat. In addition, a cooler, gentler heat is also delivered to the muscle tissues between 39.5 and 40 degrees Celsius, pre-warming the muscles to receive a more effective contraction.
EMFACE Treatment feels gentle and pain-free. Since the applicators are designed specifically to adapt to and match the contours of the face, they are comfortable. It can feel a little strange, but it doesn’t hurt. You’ll feel mild muscle contractions without even trying to move them, and it’s ok to smile, squint, or clench lightly during treatment. You’ll also feel some warmth, but nothing too hot, and you’ll never feel a burning sensation or pain. Some patients even report that the procedure feels like a warm facial massage.
6. What is the treatment protocol?
The preparation for EMFACE Treatment is straightforward, and no preparation or post-treatment protocol (other than basic skin cleansing) is needed. Simply arrive with a clean face, without makeup or skincare products, as these may interfere with the adhesive nature of the EMFACE applicator patches on the forehead and cheeks. Before treatment begins, your face will be further prepared with cleansing or alcohol pads to remove any residual oils, moisturizers, or skincare products.
An EMFACE Treatment session lasts about 20 minutes. Clinical studies suggest a total of 4 treatments—once a week is ideal, but treatments may be spaced within a 2–14 day window. Optimal results are achieved between 6 and 12 weeks after the series of 4 treatments. However, your face will feel lifted and tight immediately after the first procedure, and most patients report that they can begin to feel and see a difference right away.
It’s important to keep in mind that although no downtime or aftercare is required following treatment, the area of the EMFACE Treatment may be a bit warm and slightly red or pink. This disappears within a few hours to a day following treatment. Sensitivity to the adhesive from the treatment applicator patches may exaggerate this response. Most patients resume normal activities immediately after receiving EMFACE Treatment.
7. How long does it take to see the final result of the EMFACE procedure?
Full results from EMFACE Treatment are typically enjoyed between 6 and 12 weeks (approximately 1–3 months) following the final treatment.
8. Is there any downtime?
No. One of the best things about EMFACE Treatment is that the vast majority of patients immediately resume normal activities following treatment. There is no downtime or aftercare required. Many patients even receive treatment during their lunch break.
9. How does EMFACE compare to surgical facelifts and non-invasive device alternatives?
EMFACE is a nonsurgical, noninvasive treatment that addresses muscle tone in the face, skin lifting, and skin smoothing. A facelift and EMFACE vary widely in terms of the intensity of results as well as recovery periods.
As far as other facial rejuvenation options go, radiofrequency with Microneedling is available on a variety of device platforms from multiple manufacturers. However, Microneedling at more superficial depths tends to only help with skin texture and rejuvenation, whereas deeper RF Microneedling depths found on Infini, Profound, or Morpheus8 devices help with skin tightening.
Even though the texture and tightening can be effective, these alternatives can’t tone the muscles at the same time like EMFACE can. Additionally, many deeper microneedling RF devices require significant measures to ensure patient comfort, including regional anesthesia or analgesics during treatment.
In the same way, Ultherapy facial rejuvenation uses micro-focused ultrasound to target the skin’s dermis and the SMAS, which is a connective, collagen-rich tissue that encases our facial muscles. The focused ultrasound energy creates thermal coagulation points, or spots of heat, which stimulate the growth of new collagen and tighten the tissue. Ultherapy does not have a direct effect on muscle mass or tone as EMFACE Treatment does.
10. What if the patient doesn’t have any deep wrinkles? Is there a benefit for younger patients?
Even if you don’t have deep wrinkles, you can benefit from EMFACE Treatment. Younger patients wanting to maintain their youthful look are excellent candidates.
11. Can I have EMFACE therapy if I have injectables?
EMFACE Treatment can be used in conjunction with other noninvasive facial procedures ranging from injectable fillers to collagen stimulators. Lasers, energy-based technologies, and IPL are also acceptable. EMFACE may even help some patients that have not traditionally been good candidates for other injectables.
Simply discuss your facial rejuvenation goals and prior treatments during your consultation. Your healthcare provider will let you know if there are any contraindications and what the best protocol is for your unique needs.
Are you ready to see if EMFACE Beverly Hills Treatment is right for you? Schedule a consultation with the Dermatology Institute of Southern California today!
Learn how Dr. Behroozan and his team can help you say goodbye to wrinkles and hello to silky smooth skin. Our team is always available to answer questions and provide more information about your EMFACE treatment options.
Let’s Get Started!